Fuse Box Upgrade

Also known as Fuse Boards and Consumer Units

Safety First

If you have an older property, it is likely that at some point you will need a fuse box upgrade.

As with everything electrical, regulations and safety standards improve, and old fuse boxes may well not come up to scratch.

The amount of demand put on a home electrical installation has increased dramatically. Now with TV’s in most rooms, tablets, phones, computer game consoles, laptops, and other devices, the increase in your home wiring could have tripled at least. Old installations can become unsafe very quickly.

Old Fuse Boards ~vs~ New Consumer Units

The old fuse boxes were often mounted, on wood or plastic high on a wall, unlike the new consumer units which are metal and are RCD Protected (Residual Current Device). The fuses used now trip an electrical circuit so quickly, so much so the electricity will have stopped flowing before you even realise what’s happening. The metal unit prevents any spark within it from causing a house fire.

When to have a Fuse Box Upgrade

If you have any building work or home renovations, this is the ideal time to have your electrical installation checked. If your fuse box is causing any issues for you, then have it reviewed. And, if it is emitting a smell, then please have it checked with urgency.

If your electrics haven’t been checked out for over ten years, then we would always recommend calling an electrician in to undertake an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) to ensure your home is safe. Your fuse box will get examined as part of this.

Why Choose Doctor Electrical for your Fuse Box Upgrade

We are here to keep you safe. An old, outdated fuse box can be a fire hazard and put you and your family at risk. If you think your old fuse board requires an upgrade to a new consumer unit. We will come out and inspect your current equipment. We are always completely transparent with our quotes and charges and treat your home as though it were our own.

If you think you need a Fuse Box upgrade, then please get in touch with Doctor Electrical.